Event Specialist Job DescriptionEvent specialists plan, organize, and oversee weddings, funerals, graduations, conferences, business meetings, retreats, concerts, and banquets. Their responsibilities include:
- Discussing the event with their clients
- Booking venues
- Researching vendors
- Negotiating prices
- Managing budgets
- Solving problems
Cover Letter RecommendationsYour event specialist cover letter needs to convince employers that you are the person they should leave in charge of their important events. Most employers expect you to have a bachelor’s degree and several years of relevant experience. The best degree to prepare for this career is hospitality management, but a degree in marketing, business, public relations, or communications will also give you a solid background.When you apply for a position in this field, consider mentioning these qualities in your event specialist cover letter:
- Experience: Tell about events you have planned in the past, event-planning jobs you have held, or event-planning internships you have completed in your event specialist cover letter.
- Creativity: People don’t want the same old, same old–that’s why they’re hiring an event specialist in the first place. In your event specialist cover letter, tell about an event that was a smashing success because of your brilliant idea.
- Time management: Event specialists have to juggle several different projects at once and get everything done before the deadline. Tell about a time where you were crunched for time but miraculously pulled it off.
- Problem-solving: If you can invent creative solutions to event disasters in a heartbeat, mention that in your event specialist cover letter. Something is bound to go wrong with one of your events at some point in your life, and employers want someone who won’t fall apart when problems arise.