A data entry clerk organizes information and enters it into computer systems for accurate record keeping. The main responsibilities include:
- Organizing files to be entered into the computer
- Reporting any errors in the data
- Accurately transcribing numbers and letters into the appropriate computer program
- Keeping the information confidential
Education & Training Requirements
A high school diploma is usually the only education required for entry-level data entry clerk positions. However, an associates or bachelor’s degree in a business or secretarial major is not a bad thing to mention on your data entry clerk cover letter. While your degree is a nice bonus, these skills are non-negotiable. Be sure to prove that you have mastery of these skills as you write your data entry clerk cover letter.
- Typing speed: You need to be a master of the computer keyboard with both speed and accuracy.
- Detail-orientation: Companies rely on accurate data in order to make sound pricing and promotional decisions. One little typo could end up costing the company thousands of dollars. So, make sure that your data entry cover letter is free of errors.
- Familiarity with computer programs: In your data entry cover letter, be sure to mention the names of any computer programs that you are familiar with.
- Discretion: You may be handling sensitive company or customer information as you enter data. Companies are looking for someone trustworthy to handle this responsibility. You will immediately be rejected in your data entry cover letter includes gossip or indiscretions about previous employers.
What Should a Data Entry Clerk Cover Letter Say?
Your data entry clerk cover letter should explain why your personal character, training, and experience qualifies you for the job. It should be clear, concise, and professional. Review the data entry clerk cover letter sample below for additional help. Most entry-level data entry clerks earn $10 per hour. However, positions that require you to have security clearance will pay more than double that rate.